Books Every Urban Fantasy Lover Should Read





Hey fellow Bibliophiles!


Since I have been reading mostly urban fantasy books this summer, and the past year (yes, it's summer where I'm from) I have read quite a lot of Urban Fantasy books already. So here are SOME of the books that I really loved and I think is worth reading. Side note, I didn't add the synopses for the series that I recommended because I think you can all search for it, and instead what I added was my short review on each of the series since you can all Google for the synopses but adding my review gives it a more personal touch. 

I also really wanted to make this list because I want to compile all the books that are worth reading in the Urban Fantasy genre so all my fellow bibliophiles wouldn't need to go to various websites and end up reading a spoiler by accident, the number of books mentioned does not include novellas so if you want me to include those once I update this list, then I will.


1. Riley Jenson Guardian Series by Keri Arthur


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 9


Love the heroine who is half-vampire and half-werewolf who has an amazing personality filled with spunk. Another great thing about this series is that the secondary characters were amazing too unlike others where they make the secondary characters bland to make the primary ones stand out better.


2. Dark Angels Series by Keri Arthur


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 7


This series is a spin off to the Riley Jenson series and focuses on a heroine who is the embodiment of the type of heroines I look for in UF books. Also I love the fact that the heroine here is depicted as someone who is capable of doing great harm to the world. 

3. Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews


Status: Incomplete
Number of Books: 14 the last book will be released on September 20, 2016



This is the series which I think every UF lover should read because it is action-packed and the romance between the characters happens pretty slowly. (Which I ADORE) I also love how sarcastic the heroine is.

4. Fever by Karen Marie Moning


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 9




When I first entered the world of Urban Fantasy, this was one of the books that was always suggested by other bibliophiles and I'm that person who tends to stray away from books where it's overly popularized but when I lost enough series that are finished, I decided to try this series out and let me tell you, its popularity is truly well deserved. I don't want to get into too much detail, but this book is amazing and you should definitely check it out.


5. Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill


Status: Incomplete
Number of Books: There will be thirteen full-length novels in the Chicagoland Vampires series.  MIDNIGHT MARKED is No. 12, and will be published March 2016. No. 13 will probably be published in March 2017. (taken from author's website)


This series is amazing with a quirky, klutzy and fierce heroine which doesn't sound good but it really works together once you've read it. I also like how the heroine was extremely strong for a newly-turned vampire which not everyone liked but I absolutely did because I love books where the heroine has amazing powers and she would learn how to use it throughout the whole series. So if you like 'em too, check this series out.

6. Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris



Status: Completed
Number of Books: 13


So Sookie is kind of ditzy, and at first I found it really interesting but after reading it again and again and AGAIN, it just got really irritating. Books 1-10 are great but the last three books went from worse to worst. Still an okay series overall and the ending to book 13 feels very rushed. Also I think the title to the series should have been, The Bachelorette: Sookie Stackhouse Edition because of how many men Sookie went through, or maybe How I Met My Lover if you read the whole series, you'll know what I'm talking about.



7. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 6


This one is Young Adult but don't let that deter you from reading this series. This is one of the first Urban Fantasy books that I've read and at first I never really realized it was UF because the genre UF wasn't introduced to me yet.




8. Night Huntress series by Jeanine Frost





Compared to other UF books that I've read, the romance between the two main characters starts out faster. I stopped reading the series after the second book for some unfathomable reason but I'll post an update regarding my thoughts about this series once I finished reading it.


9. Greywalker series by Kat Richardson


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 9





So I stopped reading this series after the first book so I don't really know much about it asides from the heroine acquiring the power to walk through the Gray which is somewhat like a place where a lot of evil reside and its just within the human world but only a select few can see it.

10. Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saint Crow


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 5



A good urban fantasy book that focuses on Dante Valentine who is a necromancer and Japhrimel a demon she summoned and also Jace one of her co-workers. I finished the whole series but to be completely honest I don't remember the ending that much. Which says a lot about the series. I'll read this series again and post an update.

11. Walker Paper series by C.E Murphy



Status: Completed
Number of Books: 9



This series is an amazing blend of Native American magic and Celtic mythology. What I love about this book is that the romance is not really the main point of the story and also the fact that we can see the heroine grow slowly into a better person with each passing book. Add in the fact that she's an amazing mechanic, what's not to like!


12. Indigo Court series by Yasmine Galenorn


Status: Completed
Number of Books: 5





So this urban fantasy series is a lot different from the ones mentioned above and the difference is that this series has more romance in it and that the romance already begins from the very first book. So if you're a fan of more romance in your UF books then you should really check it out.



13. The Hollows series by Kim Harrison



Status: Completed
Number of Books: 13



This series is set in a post apocalyptic world where the paranormal, has outed themselves to the public. Featuring a heroine named Rachel Morgan who works as a runner for the I.S but later resigned. 




So that is it. It may seem like I haven't read a lot of Urban Fantasy series but if you take into account the number of books per series, then that's quite a lot of books already. I hope you do check some of the series mentioned and before I go, I just wanted to ask you guys if you want me to make a completely new list or just add in the books I have read to this post?

No comments:

Post a Comment